Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Virginia is for Musicians

A perk of living in a small town: everyone is connected.
On my 45 minute drive to work this morning I began to listen to my new favorite radio station,
106.1 The Corner and heard an interview with Schuyler Fisk (Sissy Spacek's daughter) a native of Charlottesville!  You can listen to the interview here as well as interviews of many other incredible musicians.
I first heard of Schuyler when my highschool sweetheart and I were watching Orange County and he told me his cousin, who lived in Charlottesville, was dating the pretty girl with red hair (Schuyler) that played the star's girlfriend.
Here I am....5 years later....listening to her music and a phone interview with her while she is in LA.

Here is a summary of the interview in case you don't have time to listen to the whole thing:
1. Her music has been in The Last Kiss, Dear John, Catch and Release, Penelope
Reese Witherspoon, the producer of Penelope, sought her out to write and sing a song for this
2. If you download her song "Love Somebody" from Itunes all
proceeds go to the Charlottesville/Albemarle SPCA
her mom is very involved with this
and asked Schuyler to be a part of it

3. Schuyler still writes with a lot of local musicians in the Charlottesville area
when she comes back to visit she may do a live interview at The Corner Lounge
4. She is in the writing stage of making her next album and would love to come back to VA to work on it
she did her last one in LA and missed being at home (can't blame her)
5. She just got back from touring in Japan
she got to wear an authentic Geisha outfit and said it took about two hours to get dressed
6. she grew up on a farm
that fact and the way she sings remind me of my lovely friend, Valerie McQueen
 7. and last but certainly not least: you can buy her album "The Good Stuff" on Itunes!!
and here you can listen to the songs first...my favorite is "hello"

No comments:

Post a Comment